"This is sick!!"      peace,  Elder Dude

"This is sick!!" peace, Elder Dude

Monday, July 2, 2012

Lessons in English

HI!!
 I heard from Kyle and Mom today and it sounds like all is well.  Kyle's in college....WHAT?!  that blows my mind.  Anyways, that's cool to hear that Mom and Dad, are in Nashville!  I hope you are all having fun.  This week was a crazy week.  It all started on Sunday when my comp and I decided to fast for a miracle.  And of course God hears our prayers and accepts our sacrifices b/c no effort is wasted. We have a new investigator whose name is Sasha and is 18 years old. He plays American Football and really wants to go to America and is an AWESOME investigator.  So he has accepted all of the lessons so far with no arguments but We were really afraid to teach the Law of chastity b/c we knew he has a few girlfriends...hes a HUGE player and knows it and loves it...anyways we go and teach him the law of chastity and he was against it saying that it makes him happy and that girls are fun etc.  Then we taught him the Plan of Salvation right after...and the change in his heart was incredible. the Spirit worked on him and was very strong.  He ended up praying to close our lesson and it was way awesome.  We had scheduled to have an English lesson with him afterwards and before we started he asked us if God helps people learn languages...I love that question!!!  We turned to D/C 46 and talked about gifts of the Spirit and he was pumped on that and then prayed to have some help during our English lesson, it was So COOL!  Another miracle is that a few weeks ago we were told to find an inactive member of the church and re activate her...so we went searching for her, and found her, and she didn't really want anything to do with us.  After a few lessons her heart changed.  She kept a commitment to read everyday, and she even shared with us what she read, well i told her that she always has a spot next to me at church whenever she wants. So yesterday Sacrament meeting is about to start and an investigator walks in, her name is Sveta but she's the other elders' investigator and she walks up to me and asks me if she could sit next to me and immediately through my head went "what if Ireena (the inactive member) shows up?!" so At first I said sure, b/c i could care less if she's MY investigator and the OTHER elders as along as she's at church that's all I care about, but then I saw a spot next to another elder so i told her to sit there after I already told her she could sit next to me...kinda awkward but I didn't know what to do!! Well the meeting starts and Ireena hasn't shown up and I felt way dumb for not letting Sveta sit next to me b/c the chance that an inactive member who has been to church in YEARS showing up is way low.  The opening prayer is being offered and low and behold, Ireena walks in and Looks straight at me to see if I had her spot for her like i promised, she's in her 60's by the way, and doesn't wait for the prayer to finish just walks right in and sat right next to me!!  I was so PUMPED!! and relieved haha. she told me she was glad to see me and to be at church! I was so happy. K now the sad part, after the meeting she sits there for a bit and decides to leave and NO ONE says a word to her.  its was as if she didn't even come for the first in a way long time. In and out with no one noticing her, or making an effort to say Hi.  It made me really want to be a better member when  I get home.  So next time any of you see anyone at church that you don't recognize...talk to them! b/c you never know if will be "Ireena".  Also, on Saturday from 8:30 am - 1:30pm there was a service project at the church for the young men to mow all the lawns and trim bushes the whole nine yards...the missionaries where invited.  And guess who showed up...the missionaries and one leader who gave us the keys to the shed and took off.  There were 6 of us and one of our sisters is sick (btw there are sisters in my district now)  so they took off early and 2 of the elders kinda just stopped working, so me and one other elder pretty much handled this situation...by ourselves haha.  All I can say is that I'm glad  I was taught how to work and the only thing that went through my head was " Sean, if you're going to do something, do it till its done" - Dad....so I worked and and worked and worked...And I tried to do it with a smile on my face b/c "only by pride cometh contention" and I was really trying to work on my patience really with the whole situation, anyways it was long day but it was great to be out in a yard working.  My mission never ceases to feed my humble pie, but I need it.  Getting up in the morning gets harder and harder but I know that I signed up for this so I ask God ever day to give me strength, I think that when I get home I'm going to sleep for a week straight haha.  I love being a missionary and I know that this Gospel is true.  I love my Savior
have a great week!

_elder Rooney

No comments:

Post a Comment