"This is sick!!"      peace,  Elder Dude

"This is sick!!" peace, Elder Dude

Monday, August 6, 2012

Be Specific!

FAMILY!!!
  Thanks Dad for the encouragement.  I have read that talk but It always good to review, b/c just as the people in the Book of Mormon, we FORGET.  That's why the sacrament is so important b/c it helps us to always Remember our Savior.  I learned a lot about the Atonement this past week and I'm so grateful that I have the opportunity to use it.  This week was crazy.  We have been seeing non-stop miracles and its awesome.  One thing that I started to finally apply in my life is that fact that prayer is more powerful than I think.  We read in the scriptures constantly about how miracles are wrought by a prayer of faith and its totally true!  I can't believe i never prayed (or very rarely pray for) specific things that need to happen.  We look at the example that Elder Bednar gave about how Nephi when tied up with bands by his brothers didn't just pray to "be saved" or to be "delivered out of his situation", but instead prayed for the strength to break the bands.  That is such a key lesson that I needed to not only learn, but to actually apply.  B/c it makes sense that God gives that which is good to "whoever asketh in faith" for it. So I have started to develop a faith in praying more than I ever have in my life.  I know that if we want to see a miracle, we must pray in faith and then ACT in hope that God really will bless us with what was asked for, but it needs to be in accordance to God's will.  How can we know if its God's will or not?  Have the Holy Ghost lead your prayer and pray in faith.  We had a few experiences this past week that really strengthened my testimony  about  how God answers prayers (which in my opinion is a miracle).  On Saturday night, we had 40 min until we had to be home and we had tossed the idea around of going to try and visit a less active member who we have never met or talked to.  We knew where he lived...ish and it would take around 20 min to get there and the only way that we could go would be if we got there, got into the apt bldg (which is hard to do b/c you have to have a key, and if you don't have a key you have to wait for someone to come out and then generously let you in..which also doesn't happen all that much), then he would have to be home, AND he would have to let us in and talk with him so that we could be on a lesson so that we could have until 9:30 to come home and still be keeping the rules....So we went off on our journey to a place where we have tried to go once before and we didn't get all the way there...and it was night time.  But, before we left, we said a prayer.  And My companion specifically prayed that we could get there, find him, and speak with him.  Which would truly be a miracle judging on my past experiences with less active finding here.  So we took off and a bus came right away.  I didn't know which bus stop to get off at but i had a small map with me and I tried to get off at a place that would be remotely close (b/c my map i have is pretty inconsistent with distances between places)...and so we got off at a stop that looked good and started walking...we literally walked straight and the bldg was directly in front of the bus stop that we "randomly" chose.  When we got to the bldg we were let in with in minutes...now that moment of truth. Is this man even home? and if so, will he reject us or let us in?   Well, he was home and let us in...and its was so cool.  He was drinking and we got to know each other a little bit so that we could try and build some sort of relationship of trust so that we could come back sometime.  The lights in his eyes were gone. Only a sad lonely soul who doesn't know it right now, but is searching for an escape.  The very escape that only the gospel has to offer.  So we set up a return appt with him and took off.  God answers our prayers when we pray in faith and ACT with hope that our prayers will be answered.  Hope (according to PMG) is believing and expecting something to occur.  Its a gift of the spirit that all should strive to develop.  We had a very similar experience happen, this time I said the prayer but since we both were acting in faith and were believing and expecting our prayer to be answered, it was and we saw a miracle.  God answered EVERY part of our prayer.  Specific prayers truly do receive specific answers.  I am so grateful to have applied this lesson in my life b/c it will forever bless me so long as I act in faith to receive.  Something funny that had happened is that my comp has a sleeping disorder ...he can't fall asleep well, but when he does, he can't get up...especially if he (by the way i totally just won these Ukrainian cookies from a woman who works here and I just told her that i told her that i don't drink...and SHE TOOK THE COOKIES AWAY!!! anyways...I'm over her) forgets to take his meds...so Waking up in the morning is super hard for him and he says a ton of stuff but doesn't actually get up until he's in the shower.  He was REALLY fiesty yesterday and it was super funny b/c he doesn't remember any of it.  He hasn't sworn at me yet but he flipped me off twice now and says the funniest things that make absolutely no sense.  He's really mean in the morning and he doesn't even remember any of it.  So I have full permission to throw water at him in the morning if he's not getting up.  He's one of my favorite comps and so funny but in the morning...its worse than Dad when your friends are over too late and your making way too much noise....So every morning is an adventure just to get him out of bed...On Saturday, he got out of bed but sat back down in our kitchen with his eyes open but he was still unconscious, so i dressed him.  Literally haha I put his shirt on, one arm after the other, and I tied his tie  and put it around his neck.  All of this while he was falling over b/c he was still sleeping...sitting up.  Its been fun.   Anyways, I love you all. Pray for miracles and then act with hope, and they will come.  You just have to open your eyes to see them.  Have a great Week!!!!


-Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment